Re-refined Motor Oil
Changing motor oil every 3,000 miles no longer applies to most cars. Many cars can be driven up 15,000 miles before needing an oil change. Motor oil is one of the largest hazardous waste streams. See when your car's manufacturer recommends changing your oil. And get frequently asked questions.
If you have to buy motor oil, see below.
Environmental & Health Information
Criteria for Re-refined Motor Oil
Info on this product category: Motor/Engine Oil (Re-refined)
Criteria for Motor/Engine Oil (Re-refined)
Motor/engine oil must:
- Be certified by the new American Petroleum Institute (API) Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System (EOLCS) and the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) and the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and carry the appropriate certification symbol(s) (either the sunburst or starburst) specific to that product. In order to meet 2007 emission standards, Bidders must also have oils falling under API service category CJ-4, where appropriate. Bidders should indicate product availability in their bid responses. Copies of API/SAE certification, ILSAC compliance and warranties must be submitted with bid response. Warranties must provide for the full-cost replacement of all equipment that is damaged as direct result of oil that does not meet the required performance specifications when used appropriately.
- Include as many as possible of the following re-refined motor oil products: 15W40, 10W30, 5W30, 5W20, 30W, 20W, and 40W. Preference may be given to Bidders that can supply all of them as well as additional products.
- Be certified by Ecologo CCD-054: Automotive Engine Oil- Recycled (at least 55% rerefined base stock) OR
- Contain a minimum of 75% re-refined base stock (unless the products falls under one of the exceptions contained in this document). Bidders must identify the manufacturer which is providing re-refined base stock and include in their response to the RFR, a letter from said manufacturer certifying the actual re-refined content and that all re-refined base stock meets all requirements of this RFR.
The only exceptions are:
- 5W20, which City staff can use on a Limited Use basis. Thus, a re-refined base with a minimum of 50% re-refined base stock is desirable, but not required.
- 5W30 oil, where the base stock must be a minimum of 50% re-refined.
- It is desirable that the vendor offers a closed-loop system wherever possible and feasible for collecting used motor oil for the sole purpose of recycling the product into new motor oil.