Halogen & Incandescent Bulbs

Industrial Consumer

City staff are required to buy LEDs.  

Comply with the Guide for City staff below.  





Info on this product category: Halogen & Incandescent Bulbs

Criteria for Halogen & Incandescent Bulbs

If LED replacements do not exist, only the following incandescent lamps are permitted:

  • Specialty incandescent and halogen lamps (e.g., appliance, black light, bug, colored, infrared, plant, projector, stage and studio, traffic signal, etc.);
  • Miniature incandescent lamps; and
  • Other halogen and incandescent lamps that are listed in California’s Title 20 Appliance Efficiency Database.

Prohibited products:

  • General service halogen and incandescent lamps with a medium screw base or GU24 2-pin base, including both omni-directional light bulbs (e.g., A19 and A21 standard shape lamps) and directional light bulbs (e.g., reflector flood and PAR lamps);
  • Decorative halogen and incandescent lamps (e.g., globe-, candle-, bullet-shaped lamps, including filament lamps); and
  • Small diameter directional lamps (e.g., MR16 flood lights) with a pin base.

Most omni-directional, non-directional (flood), and decorative incandescent and halogen lamps (except colored models) are now banned under California’s Title 20 Appliance Efficiency Regulations.

Last updated

Last updated: 
August 14, 2019

Guide for City Staff

City staff should see the buy green guide for lamps (bulbs), ballasts, LED fixtures, and drivers, and recycling.

Need help switching to LEDs?  Get funding for retrofits with the SF Public Utilities Commission: 415-554-2442, DAYoung@sfwater.org.